Friday, December 2, 2011

Flannel Friday - Holiday Extravaganza!

The Flannel Friday Holiday Extravaganza is finally here! I have two activities for you on this festive occasion.


"Hanukkah Candles"
Sung to: "I've Been Working on the Railroad"
I've been lighting all the candles
On this Hanukkah night.
I've been lighting all the candles
Just to see them shining bright.
Flicker, flicker little candle
Fill me with your glow
Now the time has come to count them
Ready set let's go!
Count candles.
--PerpetualPreschool

The pattern came from The Best of Totline Flannelboards by Kathleen Cubley (Torrance, CA: Totline Publications, 2000). You can also use this flannel board with the song "Holiday Candles" from 1001 Rhymes and Fingerplays by the Totline Staff (Torrance, CA: Warren Publishing House, 1994). I purposely made one candle shorter than the others, and the worker candle (the Shamash) is the tallest.

UPDATE: I found this today when I walked the aisles of Target. If anyone doesn't have time, or doesn't want to make their own, they can buy this felt Hanukkah menorah for $8.00!


My next activity was one that I came up with when I first started doing storytime, five years ago. The children always love the chopping motion of the axe.


"Five Little Christmas Trees"
Five little Christmas trees,
Standing all alone.
Their hearts were very sad,
'Cause they hadn't found a home.
Then chop went the ax,
And down fell a tree,
And off he went with a happy family!
(continue from 4-1 Christmas Trees)
No little Christmas Trees
Standing all alone
Their hearts were very happy
'Cause they all found a home!!!

This week's roundup is hosted by Library Quine. Anne at so tomorrow has the links to the previous roundups and the upcoming schedule. You can view all of our submissions on Pinterest. And, stop by and join in our discussions on our Facebook page.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment