Friday, November 18, 2011

Flannel Friday - Thanksgiving

It's Flannel Friday and almost Thanksgiving! We had a great time in storytime today with these very cute Thanksgiving flannels.

This flannel can be used for two different activities. The songs and template comes from the book Felt Board Fingerplays by Liz and Dick Wilmes (Elgin, IL: Building Blocks, 1997). I made seven feathers of each color and two turkeys.

The first activity is a matching game. Two turkeys were placed on the board, one with feathers and one without. I gave each toddler a different color feather (red, yellow, orange, green, and brown), then sang the song. At the end of the song, I asked, "Who has a (color name) one? Add it now." The toddlers with that color feather added it to the bare turkey.


The second activity is a guessing game. I put one turkey with all of its feathers on the board, then placed another set of feathers above the turkey. I sang the song and changed the last words to, "Which one is missing? Guess it now." We went through each feather to find the missing color. They usually had it guessed the minute I turned the board around, but they helped silly Miss Mollie figure it out.

The last flannel activity is a retelling of Alison Jackson's I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie. The clip art is from Marlana's site Lil' Country Kindergarten. The link also provides other activities to go along with the story. I told this story to my preschool class, and both parents and children were silent through the whole story, something that doesn't happen often.

This week's roundup is hosted by Cate at Storytiming. She's requesting that participants comment on her post on our Facebook page with a link to their posts.

To see past roundups or the future schedule, head on over to Anne's blog so tomorrow. And as always, our Pinterest page will show the pictures from this week and weeks past.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so disapointed that folks here in Scotland don't celebrate Thanksgving so I could make some of these. They have turkey at Christmas, but I'm sure most kids wouldn't recognise a turkey with it's feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanksgiving *is* a storytime gift to American librarians and teachers, isn't it? :) I always wonder where we got the idea that turkeys had all these different colored feathers (mine has pink, purple, and blue feathers!), so I like the muted ones you used. And thanks for the link for the old lady - cute stuff! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete