Thursday, March 15, 2012

Storytime - Hats! Hats! Hats!

Books
Zoe's Hats by Sharon Lane Holm
Toddler









No, That's Wrong! by Zhaohua Ji and Cui Xu
Preschool

A cute story about a group of animals who find a pair of underpants and think it's a hat.






I Want My Hat Back by John Klassen
Preschool

As funny as I think this book is, it was a complete flop with the storytime group. I could have sworn I heard crickets as I looked at the horror-stricken parents. Maybe another group will have better luck.





Activities
My Hat
My hat it has three corners,
Three corners has my hat.
And had it not three corners,
It would not be my hat.
--Traditional

I sang this song straight through and without the felt board with the toddler group, but changed it up a bit for the preschoolers. As we sang, I took out a new word, starting with MY.

Milo's Hats
This story is courtesy of Storytime Magic: 400 Fingerplays, Flannelboards, and Other Activities by Kathy MacMillan and Christine Kirker (Chicago: American Library Association, 2009).








Craft
I used the die cut of a party hat and gave the children foam shapes to glue on. Lesson learned: next time make the hats all the same color. This is something I should have know, but it has now been reinforced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment