Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Storytime - Out of This World

Toddler

Books
I Want to Be an Astronaut by Byron Barton 



Songs / Rhymes: “Good Morning”, “Hello, How Are You?”, “Bend and Stretch and Reach for the Stars”, “Open, Shut Them”, “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”, “Four Little Stars” on the felt board, “I Wiggle My Fingers”, and “The More We Get Together”. 

Craft: Twinkle Twinkle Stars. Materials: foam stars, popsicle sticks, glitter, crayons, glue, and tape. The toddlers glued their sticks to their stars and colored them in. They put more glue on the star and I sprinkled some glitter on top. Everyone sang “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” with their stars.



Preschool

Books


If I Were an Alien by Vivian French and Lisa Williams

Songs / Rhymes: “Welcome to the Library”, “Hello, How Are You?”, “Hi There, So Glad You Came”, “Head and Shoulders”, “Open, Shut Them”, “Bend and Stretch”, “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”, “I Wiggle My Fingers”, and “The More We Get Together”.

Special Activity: The preschoolers helped me spell out the word star on the magnetic board. They then helped me think of words that rhymed with star and told me what letter to add to the end of the word to make it more than one.

Craft: Build Your Own Solar System (see craft picture for Toddlers). Materials: black construction paper, pompoms, construction paper crayons, glitter, crayons, glue, scissors, and tape. The preschoolers drew on their paper using the construction paper crayons and pasted on their pompoms. When they were finished, they added more glue and I sprinkled some glitter on their pictures.

Songs

Bend and Stretch
--from Lapsit Services for the Very Young II by Linda L. Ernst. New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc, 2001.

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.
--Traditional

Four Little Stars
Four little stars
winking at me.
One shot off, and then there were three!
Three little stars
with nothing to do.
One shot off, and then there were two!
Two little stars
Afraid of the sun.
One shot off, and then there was one!
One little star, alone is no fun. 
It shot off, and then there was none!

No comments:

Post a Comment