Friday, April 1, 2011

Flannel Friday: Teeth!

Let's get down to the real reason I started this blog: Flannel Friday, the new Twitter phenomenon (well, maybe not all of Twitter, but at least among us Children's Librarians)!

This week's entry features our pearly whites.

After searching in my system's felt vault for felt boards relating to my favorite theme this session (January through April) and coming up short, I set out to make my own.

Toddler Group - Five Little Teeth
For this group's activity, I used an old black glove I discovered in the lost and found. I used hot glue and attached velcro (the rough side) to the fingertips.

Thanks to www.makinglearningfun.com. You can find the poem and pattern here.


I put one tooth on each finger and sang:

There were 5 little teeth in my teeny tiny mouth.
I pulled and I twisted and one popped out.
Now there are… (continue until all are gone)

Preschool Group - Happy Tooth, Sad Tooth


I'm not very artistic, so when I can find the images already online, I will sometimes print them out in color, laminate the sheet, cut out the shapes, and hot glue velcro to the back. Gluing felt on the back would also work, and I know many people use this method, too.

I place the happy tooth and the sad tooth on the board and tell the children what makes them feel the way they do. Healthy foods like fruits and vegetables make teeth happy, while sugary foods make teeth sad. I show them a food and they have to guess how it will make the tooth feel.

Thanks to www.prekfun.com for this idea. You can find the PDF here.


That's all I have for this week. Check back next week for a new installment of Flannel Friday!

8 comments:

  1. I can't believe you started a blog just to hang out with us on Flannel Friday! I can't wait to see what else you have to share.

    I love the white teeth on that black glove, it's very effective! Cute rhyme, too! And I'm a big fan of interactive guessing games in storytime. Yay!

    Melissa ZD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Thanks a lot for joining in the fun!

    Miss Mary aka @daisycakes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you started a blog to do this! YAY!

    Also, the black glove is such a clever idea. That would be a great way to do so many of our "Five Little Whatsits."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I may start my own storytime blog. I'm so inspired by all you awesome fellow librarians. I'm just starting out as a children's librarian myself, and all of this idea sharing is immensely helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, this is a fun one! I'm so thrilled you started a blog just to join us on #FlannelFriday! That is awesome.

    Someone recommended http://www.picnik.com/ for photo-editing (free and online--you don't need to download anything) when I was starting my blog so I am passing the tip on to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Flannel Friday!
    If you anticipate posting regularly, would you like to have a link to your blog on my Flannelboard wiki? http://southcentralflannelboardfactory.wikispaces.com - check it out for some more ideas!
    Keep up the good work - Sarah V.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome work! That is quite appreciated. I hope you’ll get more success.Carrollton Family dentist

    ReplyDelete